Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I've been away for a few days . . . okay, like a week! I went to my 20-year college reunion last weekend and had a fabulous time. It's so good to catch up with old friends and professors, and see the beautiful campus!

Today I was teaching 4th grade. In science, they were learning about birds. As a preface to the lesson, I asked them if they knew what the state bird was. Since we're in Maryland, the state bird is the oriole. After getting the correct answer, I told them we probably have orioles around here, but I don't recognize them without their uniforms on. The first class just looked at me blankly, but a couple of kids in the second group got it and then they all started laughing (with the exception of one kid who told me it was so funny he forgot to laugh!).

I like to inject a bit of humor into the lessons whenever possible - makes it more fun for the students, and for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment