Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Call Her Firefly . . . .

You never know what you'll be doing each day when you sub. Today I was teaching first grade at the school my daughters first went to when we moved to this city (well, feels like a small town to this big-city girl!). They were a good group, just a little chatty.

The story in their reading anthology was called "Nathan's Firefly," so one of the other first grade teachers found a firefly project for the kids to color, cut out, and glue together. It took the kids the better part of an hour, and not all of them finished, but they actually didn't want to stop and pack up before going to P.E. at the end of the day - now that's the sign of a good class project!

While they were at P.E., I cut out and colored the extra so the teacher would have a sample (think "insert tab A in slot B"!) and this is what it looks like:



When my older daughter was in kindergarten, her class made a mural of a farm, which is still down at the end of the hallway. I love looking at her dog-that-might-be-a-cow, or maybe it's a cow-that-might-be-a-dog; she can't remember which. They were the class of 2002, and now they're all going into high school in the fall. I remember seeing her walk up the hallway at the end of the day, and she looked so little. Now she is within a few inches of my height (I'm 5'10"), and it's hard to believe she was ever that little!

Speaking of my older daughter, she has a band concert tonight, so I have to go make some dinner for us before I have to take her to school. More later!

ETA: Here's a clip of Tony Bennett singing "Firefly" with Kermit the Frog on the "Muppet Show"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeJH6mjsC0s&feature=PlayList&p=1D7287D8069AF87C&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=76

No comments:

Post a Comment