Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Afterschool Program Comes to an End for this School Year

So today was my last day teaching in the afterschool program for this year. (The official last day is tomorrow, but my 14-year-old has a band concert, so I have to go to that!) It was bittersweet. I love teaching, but some of these kids really plucked my last nerve some days! One boy, on hearing I wouldn't be there tomorrow, started jumping up and down and cheering. Thanks for making me feel loved, buddy! :-P They fuss because I enforce the rules, but I also reward them for doing what they are supposed to do. I strive to be firm but fair with all my students. The funny thing is, when I run into the afterschool kids at school, they are always happy to see me and come over to say hi!

Two of the students are going to middle school in the fall, so I won't see them again unless I run into them before the end of the school year. Occasionally I'll run into students at the grocery store or at Wal-Mart, and they always come over and give me hugs.

I know I'll think about the kids over the summer, and wonder what they're doing. I wonder if they'll ever think about me, and think, "She was a teacher who really helped me out"? I hope so. If even one kid does that, then I have done my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment